Sunday, January 10, 2010

Chasey Pup

Yes call me crazy, call me insane, borderline mental, whatever.... but I got the boys a puppy. (Please excuse the low quality iphone pics lol)When we moved a year ago we had to get rid of Gary dog, our tiny 3 bedroom with no yard was just not fair to our 100lb ball of love. The boys have been heartbroken about it since (mostly Jackson, Wy doesnt have a much of a clue but follows Jacks lead). Lately Jack had been the most upset by it... serious meltdowns, crying about how bad he wanted his dog back, how he just wanted to play with him, etc, etc.... well I had dogs my whole life, this broke my heart. I started looking online at Puggles. I think they are freakin adorable, and they are small enough that not only could we take them wherever we move, but the boys can really take care of it and walk him and take him in the car and all that little stuff boys and puppies do. I found a litter at a shelter in Yucaipa, and the one single puppy they had left was this little cute boy, who actually looked more like a beagle than anything, and not only did Wyatt immediately fall in love but that little boy won me over. We watched him play with Wy and chase his tail and wrestle with the bottoms of Wyatts pants. And I was sold. We took him home that monday, surprised Jackson who was instantly the happiest little boy on earth. And they named him Chase... because he would chase his tail and chase them wherever they would go. Sweetest little pup, and so good, slept through the night in his crate the very first night and every night after that, only had 2 or 3 accidents in the house (all of which happened when Luke was watching him lol), he wouldnt walk on a leash he just would follow us, he chased Wyatt the whole way to school to get Jack everyday, sooo cute... loved him. Oddly enough I think Luke even fell in love just a bit, yes Luke I saw you rock him like a baby and sing the "BABY" song to him :) Well Sunday morning I got up and Chase was not himself, he barely moved, he wouldnt eat, and was making this strange breathing motion. I took him down to the animal er. They immediately put him on oxygen and did xrays and told me he had pneumonia. Then told me not only what it was going to cost to keep this poor pup alive but they weren't even sure if he would make it. I spent 3 hours sobbing in that vet, having no idea what the heck to do, and my mind kept going back to the kids and how they would feel. Ughhh it was awful. Finally I knew that the best decision was to let him go, that poor ten week old puppy couldnt keep going though that. I went home to get the boys, I wasnt going to make the mistake of not letting them say goodbye again. We got there and i hadnt told the boys yet, I wanted them to wait til they saw him then id explain. So the nurse put us in a room and brought Chase in and sat him on the floor on a towel, he immediately got up and walked over to us. The boys pet him and talked to him and finally asked if we could take him home. The second I said we couldnt and explained how sick he was and that Chase wasnt going to make it, Jackson broke down which in turn had me crying. He wouldnt stop sobbing. He crawled into my lap on the floor and just bawled his eyes out. Wyatt didnt really get it, the kid asked if he could get a cat. Which brought a little light into the terrible situation. After about fifteen minutes, they said their final goodbyes and we went home, poor Jack cried the entire way. He wouldnt even walk out of the hospital, he was frozen crying, I had to pick him up and carry him. I was sorta at a numb point by then but I think it was one of the hardest things I have ever went through. As strange as it sounds. I became ridiculously attached but seeing jackson have to go through that after finally being so happy with his new dog was the worst. Its crazy to me how much we loved that little pup after just five days with him. Its been two and a half weeks now and the kids dont talk about it or cry quite as much but we still have good conversations about him. Jack always dreams about him he says, he will wake up and tell me about it or when I tuck him in he will say hes gonna dream about Chase. He has also said if he cant fall asleep at night he sings songs about Chasey pup. And if he gets sad he thinks about when he would chase him home from school. :( I miss him, it still makes me sad, especially when you see his empty crate and toys or his tags we had made him the day before he died. For now they are sitting in the boys room on their shelf. So they can always look at them and remember their cute Chasey pup :)

1 comment:

Carrie Braunalicious said...

That is so heartbreaking. What a sweetie Jackson must be to have that reaction.