Saturday, October 18, 2008

Wyatts Scary Night

First off... Ashley if youre reading this, Im not sure when you leave but I hope its not soon. I got your message but after this you will know why I havent called you back yet! But I really wanna see you guys before you go back to Hawaii... hope Im not too late! Ok so to my post now. So Jack has been sick all week. Stayed home from school on Monday with a fever and a barking seal cough that sounded like a little case of croup. He was on and off with how he was feeling so it wasnt a huge deal. He even went to school on Wednesday cuz he was lots better. Thursday he was way better too.... still had a little bit of a cough but nothing drastic. Thursday afternoon after little naps is when things got bad. I went to the gym and Luke took the kids shopping for Halloween costumes, I guess they were hitious while they were out and I put them both to bed at 745pm that night. The next morning Jack sounded worst as far as his cough went and you could just tell he wasnt 100%. So I kept him home from school, AGAIN. Wyatt started complaining around 9am that his ears hurt him. GREAT... then he started getting a fever, I gave him tylenol and put them both down for a nap at 11. They slept for over two hours. When they got up they were feeling lots better but I was still keeping them down best i could. Finally around 330 or so Wyatt threw a fit about something which led to a cough, a nasty barking seal croup sounding cough. Then he started freaking out which was making it worst and it went from a temper tantrum to a scary little attack that had him shaking and trying to catch his breath. I knew it was croup. Luke got home about 4 and i made him take Wyatt straight to Urgent care. They got there about 430pm and Wyatt was feeling miserable, he spiked a fever again, a fever of 103.5 which led to him throwing up all over Luke in the drs office. They were both covered in vomit. The dr gave him some Motrin for his fever and then continued to check him out. They finally came to the conclusion he had bronchitis and ear infections. However while he was there he was having a hard time with this cough and a really hard time breathing. They monitored his oxygen levels and he was only processing 85% of his oxygen. You are obviosuly supposed to process 100% and anything less than 90 is considered dangerous. They gave him a breathing treatment with a nebulizer ( I think is what its called) which led to a freak out at first then finally he settled down and let them do it. They were so worried about him that he had more than just the one dr looking at him and I guess they finally sat down and had a conference about him and what it was, what to do and how to treat him. They were all so worried. I am sure they were debating to send him to the hospital or not too because in all honesty I wanted to take him when he got home. Finally they came to the conclusion it was also croup. Which if you dont know what croup is its a virus that only children get that stems from a cold or allergies which causes their airways to swell up, which obviously they can die from. As they get older and their lungs and airways mature its not something they can get anymore, its usually only really bad in kids 2 and younger. Jack may have had it too but being a 4 year old he doesnt get it as bad as Wy would. And it creeps up super fast which is the scariest part, I mean literally it hit Wyatt within minutes. Anyways, they prescribed him with antibiotics for the ear infections and bronchitis and another steroid for the croup which would kill the bacteria and help open the airways. (I posted a picture of my "pharmacy" thats sitting on the counter right now, ridiculous!). They told us we had to sleep with him and monitor his breathing all night to make sure he didnt struggle or even stop breathing. We had to keep him from crying or coughing cuz that makes it worse. If we saw him struggling to breathe at all we were supposed to go straight to the hospital. If he started sounding really sealish again we had to take him to the hospital. He had to sleep with a cold humidifier too which obviosuly would help him breathe. When Luke was telling me all this I almost started panicking because what if? Especially the drs being so alarmed wasnt real assuring. Anyways, they finally got home about 730pm. He sounded awful, even when he talked, way worst then it was when he left. I gave him a bath and when I took him out he was shivering so bad he started gasping for air which of course freaked me out. I warmed him up, sat him at the table and got him some cheerios and apple sauce so he could get something back in his stomach before he took his medicine, which the drs had said to give him ASAP. After that he sounded alot better and he laid on the couch with me and had some pedialyte. The drs called about 930 to check on him and let us know that the coughing attacks will be normal but it needs to be a normal cough and not a seal like cough. I couldnt believe they had called and checked on him. It was really cool but at the same time made me that much more nervous cuz I realized once again how serious it was. Jack slept upstairs in the playroom. And shortly after Wy had crawled into my lap and fell asleep witin 30 seconds. I took him up to bed, nervous as all hell, and just sorta stared at him for awhile. I took his fresh Mimi outta the drier and put it next to him (he had barfed all over it at the dr so Luke washed it ASAP so he wouldnt melt down over a missing Mimi). Then on an empty stomach cuz I still hadnt eaten dinner I layed in my bed to watch TV and listened for Wy. After about 45 minutes (and getting up 13 times to check on him) I made my bed on his floor for the night and tried to get some sleep. I maybe got 2 hours total, every little noise had me at his bedside. Every cough had my heart racing. Everytime he woke up whining I had to cuddle him to make sure it didnt turn into crying. I gave him 2 cups of pedialyte throughout the night which had me changing two very full diapers at 1 and 4 in the morning! Finally around 6am I heard him singing... "dada dada dada, where are you?? Jacksons not up top.... dada dada dada, where are you?" He was singing for Luke. It was so cute. He went back to sleep then woke up at 7am with a huge grin and looked at me and said "Mommy we wake up?!" Little did he know I wasnt even asleep. Hardly at all. But he was all smiles and just wanted to go watch cartooons. He sounds much better this morning, still coughing but no seal coughs really so I have hope that hes getting better quick. Luke just took him to the dr again this morning cuz they wanted to see him again today first thing. So im crossing my fingers for good news. It was a long scary night and I could live without having to do it again. So anyways, keep Wy in your thoughts to a speedy recovery and Ill keep you all updated. And thanks to all of you who have been checking in on him and leaving sweet messages.... hes one lucky little guy to have so many people who care!!
Wy and his very brave patient stickers! Told you-all smiles. Poor guy.

8 comments:

Krystal: Wife, Mom, Former Sleeper said...

oh amy, im so sorry. that is one part of motherhood i am dreading. poor little wy! you all will be in my thoughts.

The Trotter Family said...

Holy crap, I was panicking just reading that! I hope he is feeling better. Poor kid! I can't imagine how nervous you must have been to try to sleep through the night. I know I would have been a total wreck. Hope you are getting some sleep today!

Mama Dubs said...

My poor Wy Wy :( I am glad he is feeling better though. I love how he always has a smile on his face, even when he is feeling awful- I hope that attitude never changes!!!

Unknown said...

I hope you all get some rest tonight; I'm thinking of you and sending good vibes.

Unknown said...

Poor kids and poor Mom and Dad. Having sick kids is really scary. All you want to do is make it better. Fortunately, kids heal quickly. Hope you get some rest tonight and we'll call you Sunday to see how things are going.

Anonymous said...

Indeed SCARY ! You and Luke were really right on the ball, taking care of poor adorable Wyatt.
And there is the sweet picture of him with a big smile on his face...altho' circles under his eyes from what he had gone through.
Hope that all continues to be better!
Special hugs and love to each one of you.

Anonymous said...

poor little wywy hope he is better and hope u get lots of rest!!!!

Anonymous said...

hope Wyatt and Jack are better now.You and Luke are the best ever parents.It is so scarey when little ones can't catch their breath and you hold yours while you wait and wait and wait just hoping they'll be alright.
Angels watch over you all--sweet dreams to you. Love Grandma xoxo