Sunday, March 2, 2008

After Lots of Contemplating..

.... we did it! We got Wyatt a big boy bed, well sort of. We got him a new toddler bed. I figured we would wait til his birthday to actually get him a big boy bed and new furniture, maybe even his third bday, who knows. Anyways, I have been thinking long and hard about this one. Many cons, not so many pros.... but there was one pro that outweighed pretty much all of the cons....

Cons:
1. The kid is a terd.... its gonna be a battle to get him to stay in bed
2. He is very content playing in his crib when he wakes up which equals more sleep time for mom and dad
3. When hes locked up he cant get into anything (i.e. toys, books, diaper pail, his heater, etc)
4. He can turn these door handles which equals mischief throughout the house, not just his bedroom
5. If hes awake and out of bed, it means Jackson is sure to follow shortly
6. He has a habit of waking up during his nap and whining for a few minutes before he lays back down to get that other hour of much needed sleep. Im worried when he wakes up and seees he can get outta bed, the much needed hour wont happen!
I could really go on and on......

Pro: (notice how this is not plural)
1. The poor kid is just too stinkin big for his crib now, which could be the reason he wakes up halfway through his naps... but his legs get stuck in between the bars and he screams! It was just time. I felt bad for him....

So yes my one pro outweighed the many selfish cons that I had... I sucked it up and put my kid first! And his poor little knees that kept getting stuck. However there was one more pro.... Dustin and Ambra were having a garage sale yesterday and I thought we could make a tiny bit money on that crib. Wyatt broke a side of the railing cuz he is ruthless, so I knew I wouldnt really be able to sell it on Craigs List, so this was probably my best option. And guess what?!?! Ambra sold it fast! Only thirty bucks but I didnt expect much more than that. Besides it paid for over half of Wyatts toddler bed. I found the thing on Walmart.com for $50.... At first I thought it would be cheap and cheesy but it wasnt. Its a sleigh bed and its super cute, sturdy and doesnt look cheap at all. So i was pleased, even though we had to drive all the way to Huntington to get it. I still need to get bedding for it... however i found the cutest stuff. There is a quilt and pillow sham at Pottery Barn kids I want, its blue, brown and white (its the top quilt in this picture) and Im going to get him brown sheets and pillowcase from babies r us. Im excited... its reallllllly cute. I have this thing with brown lately, i dont know why. But the brown and white and blue will look really good with his white bed.

So anways, Im sure your all dying to know what happened yesterday/last night with the bed. Well we got home yesterday and Luke set it up, and although it said two person assembly required he wouldnt even let me touch the thing (typical... such a guy). Jackson and Wyatt were upstairs watching Ninja Turtles while he worked. So when he was finished I went up and got Wyatt to come see his new bed. He looked at it, ran right over to it and stood beside it with a grin. Then he looked at me kinda funny like I needed to give him permission to get into it. So i told him to get up. He jumped up there and first thing he did was stand on it and jump in the air landing on his butt like he does in his brothers bed. It was too funny. He was so proud. However this incident didnt involve going to sleep. Thats a whole nother story. Nap time came around and he was so tired so I wasnt too worried. However I put him in his bed, covered him up, shut the door and stood there waiting. Well about 45 seconds later, the door cracks and he pops his little head out. So i told him it was night night time and put him back. A minute later, it happens again. However this time when he saw me coming he sprinted back to his bed and laid down. Well this happened two more times (about twenty minutes it went on) and finally after four times of getting up he was just in there talking. So i opened the door and he is sitting on his floor playing with bats and balls (the toy box may need to be removed from his bedroom). So I took the toys with me and put him back in. About ten minutes later he was passed out!!! And ever so cutely might I add. With his legs flung over the guard rails! Bed time was easy, they went to Marc and Brandis last night so Luke and I could go to dinner (Ruths Chris, mighty delicious lemme tell ya) so by the time we brought them home he was passed out. So we put him in his bed and he was sound asleep. So far so good.... Be prepared though for a week or two of complaining!

4 comments:

Krystal: Wife, Mom, Former Sleeper said...

i love that the #1 logic for getting a "big boy" bed was that he is too big for his crib...and yet, he chooses to sleep in a space smaller than his crib was with the potential for his knees and feet to get stuck again!

too funny! i cant wait to meet your boys!

Anonymous said...

Just ADORABLE ! Wyatt must be SO proud to have his 'big boy' bed.
What does Jack think about it?
Can't wait to see the boys and you tomorrow....they are growing up SO FAST.
You are such a good mommy, Amy !

lauren said...

wow your brave! the first week is always rough, but hopefully its better after that. i HAD to take kaia out of her crib much sooner than i would have liked, but she keep getting out, and getting her leg stuck also. i had to use lotion or olive oil to lube up her leg to get it out! ahhhh! then i needed the crib for the baby so it was time. sounds like he's doing pretty good though. i reversed the lock on her door so i could lock her in there at night and naps... might want to try that if he keeps getting out.

The Trotter Family said...

I bet he will adjust pretty quickly especially when you are enforcing the rules. I love how he is hanging over the side. I don't think I could ever sleep like that!