Monday, July 14, 2008

Walk Down Memory Lane

On saturday I met my mom, sister, gammy and my great aunt for lunch. They wanted to go to Crystal Cove finally, after they have turned in what used to be a great childhood memory for my mom and grandma and aunt, and even to my sister and I, into a State Park. My mom spent her summers there as a child with my grandparents and aunt and uncle and they have the greatest memories from the little beach community. After my mom grew up my great aunt owned one of the cabins there, so when me and my siblings were kids we spent alot of time there. When my sister and I were the only kids left at home my mom would take the two of us and our neigbors there for weeks at a time. It was the best. So we definetely have our fair share of memories there but nothing quite like my moms. So as you could imagine I was prepared for them to all be a bit emotional. I pulled up and the first thing my mom shows me is the side of the shuttle bus in the parking lot. HER FACE WAS PLASTERED ON THE SIDE OF THE BUS!!! NO JOKE!!!!!!!! There is a picture from back in the day, my mom must have been four or so, and it has become the famous Crystal cove picture. Its a group of peple from the "tent era" rasing the flag and saluting it!! My Dandad is in it, and my mom is the famous little blond girl smiling in the front row. And my aunt Jeanne is sitting right next to her. Well this picture is on their postcards, the placemats at the restraunt, in pictures they were selling and on the side of the freakin BUS! It was BIZARRE to say the least. My mom was creeped out. As was I!!! So we walked down to where the entrance is and there was my Aunt barbaras cabin. It looked so old and run down all of a sudden. It was kinda sad. The surf stickers were still in the windows and we all laughed about how raccoons on the roof would scare the crap outta us kids in the middle of the night. Then we saw one of the cabins that was transformed into a gift shop. We walked in and my mom layed eyes on this picture "the picture" that was restored in color and here she was in the front row again, with blond hair and a bright pink shirt (since they had hot pink shirts in 1954 right?!?!?!). It had their famous saturday night quote on the top and was, get this, $110!!! I immediately looked at my mom and said "UMmmmmm why are you not making money off this? Shit, I could be rich off this!!!" It was crazy! Then I notice and a man with the Crystal Cove book and he is giving a tour, no joke, giving a tour while reading this book filled with pictures of my family. So I asked aunt Barbara if she knew him, well of course she did, they all knew each other back then! So he tells everyone included in his tour that these are living people from this book and these freakin weird ass people are snapping pictures of "the little blond girl with the pink shirt"!!! I was dumb-founded!! It was like they were celebrities!!! I couldnt even fathom the fact that these people were so in awe they had to take pictures! NO FREAKIN WAY!!!! My mom was so creeped out her and my aunt finally had to walk down to the beach. I could not get over this! Seriously it was like the damn papparrazi! I felt like Britney Spears kids or something! O man was it weird. After walking down to the beach the five of us walked to the water to throw some gardenias in the ocean for my Dandad. After he died he was cremated and was layed to rest in his favorite place... the waters of crystal cove. So it was kinda neat to be able to do that with my grandma. Then we headed to the bar for an appetizer and margarita before sitting down for lunch. My mom kept talking about the picture and how she was debating spending the $110 to have it in her house. Shit, if I were her i would have demanded it for free!! Ridiculous! So my grandma says "I think I wanna go buy some postcards..." as she is silently saying to me from across the table "I wanna go buy it for her!" So I say "ya lets go buy some postcards!" I was so happy my grandma wanted to do that because honestly if I had the money I would have done it for her! We then snuck up there and bought the picture and brought it down to surprise my mom. I warned my grnadma that she would cry... and of course my mom cried. She was sooo excited. It meant alot to her and it meant alot to my grandma to see how happy she had made my mom! Now i know where my mom gets it... when I say how much I want something, leave it to my mom to secretly buy it for me. She so deserves to be spoiled once in awhile so i was really happy she got her picture. We then had lunch at the restraunt up there, where I had to eat my turkey club and drip ranch on my mothers face (again, BIZARRE!!). My aunt treated us and we finally decided to head up to the shuttle bus, where again I had to look at my moms face plastered on the side. O man, its still so weird to me! It was a really fun day, and im so glad I went, for so many reasons..... But one reason especially............ (to be continued.... )
I was dying laughing taking these pictures, poor auntie Barbara had bent over to roll up her pants and ash starts the WWF moves... LOL
Gammy, the little blond girl in the pink shirt and Aunt barbara at the shuttle bus pointing to their picture, and the funny driver man!!
Gammy, Ash, myself and Mom
Do you think that bright pink color existed in 1954 LOL sorry mom!

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

I wish I could have been part of this adventure.

Krystal: Wife, Mom, Former Sleeper said...

what a GREAT day. and how fun! i think we got to go to the cove with you once or twice...if it is the place i remember it was so much fun!

Anonymous said...

It was a GREAT day... weird, but GREAT! And thanks Amy for helping Gammy surprise me with the picture! It's now hanging above the fireplace and I LOVE IT! Pink shirt and all. By the way, I think they did have pink 'way back when'....